Get answers to your financial aid questions below
View top ten questions
- When will I receive my financial aid?
- How do I pay my tuition for the semester?
- How do I accept or decline financial aid?
- Questions on other Departments / Offices at UWM.
- How do I apply for financial aid?
- When will I receive my excess aid check?
- Can I go on a payment plan to pay my tuition balance?
- What will happen if I withdraw from my classes?
- What is PAWS?
- How many credits do I need to take in order to receive financial aid?
Excess aid checks
When your financial aid funds are more than your university charges, the excess will be sent to you. Currently this is in the form of a check through the mail. However, the university is working toward allowing students to sign up for direct deposit to an account of their choosing. The amount of the excess/refund will be determined by your outstanding university charges minus the total of financial aid disbursed. You can review these amounts on your PAWS account.
The disbursement of aid begins 10 days prior to the start of the semester. The first group of excess cash checks is mailed approximately 5 days before the start of classes. Financial aid will continue to disburse Monday/Wednesday/and Friday nights throughout a semester. Once you have a credit balance on your account, the Bursar Office will process your refund in approximately two days. Find more information on Disbursement here.