Get answers to your financial aid questions below
View top ten questions
- When will I receive my financial aid?
- Do I have to tell you how many credits I am taking?
- When will I receive my excess aid check?
- What happens to my financial aid if I am not enrolled full-time?
- Questions on other Departments / Offices at UWM.
- How do I accept or decline financial aid?
- How many credits do I need to take in order to receive financial aid?
- Where can I look to find more financial aid?
- How much does tuition cost?
- Can I go on a payment plan to pay my tuition balance?
When you are awarded financial aid, some funds are ‘offered’ and require you to ‘accept’ or ‘decline’ them.
You do this online through your PAWS Self-Service Account (www.paws.uwm.edu). When you log into PAWS, you go to the Accept/Decline Awards link found under the Finances section. Once you are there, you must agree to do business electronically. When you are in the Accept/Decline Awards section, you can individually accept or decline each type of aid, or you can accept or decline all aid.
If you are not planning on attending UWM, you should go out to self-service and decline all of the financial aid offered to you. This allows limited funds to become available for students who do plan on attending UWM, and also makes sure that if you are planning to attend another university, awarding and/or disbursement by them isn’t delayed due to our having awards offered to you. You can only receive aid at one school for the same period of enrollment.
If you do not wish to receive the full amount of the offered loan or work, you can accept a portion. To accept a reduced amount, click on the accept box next to the type of loan. Another box will appear where you can enter the exact amount you want to accept. Remember, in most cases the aid is disbursed half for fall and half for spring, so make sure you accept the amount you need for both the fall and spring semesters. Please watch for emails from the Financial Aid Office. Some forms of aid are limited and if you don’t accept it, it may be taken away after a period of time. You can find more details about accepting aid and a PAWS Tutorial here.
If you’ve followed all these steps and still find you cannot accept your financial aid. Please contact our office and we will help troubleshoot and resolve the issue.